A Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) is a type of motor controller that drives an electric motor by varying the frequency and voltage supplied to the electric motor. Other names for a VFD are variable speed drive, adjustable speed drive, adjustable frequency drive, AC drive, microdrive, and inverter.
This course was created to bring students up to speed in their knowledge of variable frequency drives (VFDs) as quickly and safely as possible. It includes “hands-on” demonstrations for skills improvement and is specifically designed for maintenance technicians and others working in industrial plants and commercial buildings, etc.
This course is practically designed around common applications involving , pumps, fans, conveyors and other specific applications including those that require constant torque operation. It covers AC motors, VFD configuration, component layout, control methods, installation requirements, operation, setup, programming, preventive maintenance, power quality and harmonics issues and more.
We will make use of a training rig for Industrial Motor Control system that displays motor currents on the meter with VFDs and PLCs to training students.
Some of the specific things they will learn during this training program include:
- Where and how VFDs are used in the workplace using a work rig
- How VFDs can improve efficiency, safety and cost savings in a variety of applications
- How to read and understand electrical drawings in the design or troubleshooting of a VFD application
- How the VFD relates to the motor to accomplish a desired objective
- Types of VFDs and their various options and capabilities
- Application of VFD technology to your specific needs
- How to install a VFD
- VFD setup and programming
- Hard wiring and grounding of VFDs
- VFD control for constant torque or variable torque applications
- How to get optimum performance from your VFD
- The importance of monitoring your VFD
- Maintenance considerations for a VFD
- Identifying and isolating a VFD problem from a motor problem
- VFD Troubleshooting tricks and techniques
- How to find and fix the most common VFD problems
- Other VFD best-practices
This is a two days course and it is offered at our Academy in Ibadan.
Cost is N45,000 per participant.
Availability: on demand